12 March 2013

Curt-Benza-Made Knife

Putting all ethics and economics aside...

I find "fakes" and "clones" of various products interesting.  I don't know why, I just do.  There's just something about them that intrigues me.

So through my various moseying around the Interwebz, I found this oddity today:

I call it... the Curt-Benza-Made.  :)

I don't know.  Something about it just was interesting.  It wasn't an exact clone.  It wasn't a fake, per se.  It was a ... collection of various aspects of other knives that was mashed together.  The general shape of the knife (Sebenza), the axis lock (Benchmade), and what looks like a rendition of the older version of Curtiss's S.P.O.T. pivot design.

Would I buy this?  No.  One day, I'll own a CRK Sebbie.  I'm on the list for a Curtiss at the moment.  :)  And I already own a Benchmade:


haha I don't know.  :)  I just had to laugh.  It's just interesting.  If I didn't know about these custom knife makers and how much passion they put in to making and designing their knives, and learn about knives in general, I probably would have bought one for the sake of having a pretty knife and what I would have assumed to be a "good" knife.  Back then, I wouldn't know the difference between a $10.00 knife and a $100.00 knife; that's now changed.  But that doesn't change the fact that I still find these fakes/clones interesting.  :)

I guess I do have to give this guy some prop for at least not making an exact duplicate of a Sebbie like those other ones you see on the aliexpress site.  They'd put their name on the blade instead of Chris Reeves or something.  Those other ones are straight up fakes and have the guts to put Mr. Reeve's name on their knives and sell them as such.  Horrible.  :(

2 comments:

  1. Ya know, there's a lot of talk about not buying clones as it's "stealing" or some such. And, I agree that it is. ON THE OTHER HAND.....

    People who make clones have to actually figure out what they're doing and make them. There's a certain art to the forgery that we often forget can be valuable. For a sick, twisted version of the word "valuable."

    You're going to get a Sebbie someday. I Know This. But, in the meantime, as your budget allows, why not get fake Sebbies and form a little posse of them Get enough and sooner or later you'll have an interesting exhibit if nothing else.

    And by looking at all the ways there is to fake a Sebbie, you'll know more about Sebbies than anyone else!

    (But don't tell anyone I told you. :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd been back and forth on that subject for a while. I have an SRM 710, which is toted as the "poor man's Sebenza." I have no qualms about owning it. I got that to get a feel for a real Sebbie before deciding that I really did want one - and every time I hold it, I want a Sebbie that much more. Back then, those Sebbie clones didn't exist or were upwards of $100 (now they're more readily available).

      For this knife in particular, while I find it interesting, I just don't want it; I'm very bad at rotating my knives. haha But it is kinda cool to have all of those parts integrated together - I give the maker props on that.

      I'll admit to being in the camp of those who would like to get "clones" for the sake of trying out the size/weight (not materials/craftsmanship) before plopping down good money for the real deal. On the other hand, the real items usually keep their value, so it really doesn't matter. Not sure if there's a market for second hand clones. Hmmmmmmm.... :)

      But I think my superego tells me otherwise. :P So real deal, it is! :D

      Delete