24 October 2012

Idea: Micro Buddy Burners - Part 2 (068/365)


I took another shot at "perfecting" the micro buddy burner idea again.  This time I went with a cross wick in hopes that it wouldn't burn up the wax too quickly.  I also put in slightly less wax so that when it melts it has somewhere to go and hoped that it wouldn't smother itself out like last time.


It gave off a very nice flame.  I had to smother it out prematurely because the wax started to spit and pop (much like how cooking oil pops when you're frying foods).  I'm not sure if it did that because it had contaminants or because the wax I was using was a mixture of vegetable and paraffin waxes.

In either case, other than the popping, it worked perfectly.  I plan attempting this same setup again, but using a different wax.  Again, the candles used for this was from IKEA.

:)  I also learned to actually WRAP the foil around the bottom of my mess kit instead of just laying it flat.  :P  That way the soot doesn't really creep up on my pot as badly.

I'm glad I had the extinguisher and the snuffer and all that at hand.  When the wax started popping, I got a little scared.  I took a deep breath and a second to think about what I was going to do and then went ahead and took the pot off and snuffed the flame out.  :)  You DO NOT want to freak out and flip this thing over!  NO BUENO!  Always take safety measures when you're working with fire, y'all.

>>  Check out Part 1 here  <<

No comments:

Post a Comment