20 October 2012

Idea: Micro Buddy Burners - Part 1 (064/365)


I love making "Buddy Burners."  I don't know why; I just think they're really cool.  :)  For those of you who don't know what a Buddy Burner is, it's a simple stove made out of a tuna can, strips of corrugated cardboard, and wax (usually paraffin).

I've been making Buddy Burners for a couple of years now.  I've never actually used it as a stove (it produces a lot of soot, so it'd be my "last resort" stove) but I have used it as a source of heat (at like bonfires and such).

Eventually, this lead me to looking into and making soda can stoves/penny stoves/alcohol stoves, and the like.  At one point, I looked into tea light stoves.  I didn't like it because it seemed as though it was only good for keeping things warm.  That lead me to think about making buddy burners the size of tea lights!

As shown above, I did just that.  I won't go into detail as to how to make these since it's just the smaller version of the traditional Buddy Burner, and those instructions are all over the Interwebz.  I have yet to test out the burn time on these but will do so in the coming days once my midterms are over and I have some free time.

Be on the look out for Part 2 of this adventure, as I test out how well (or not so well) these work for boiling water and perhaps even cooking.  I also have plans to turn these into a smaller version of what would otherwise be known as a "Hobo Stove."

>>  Check out Part 2 here  <<

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about the same thing the other day! Miniature ones and bigger ones. Will be watching to see if these turn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) I forgot to link in part 2 - I'll do that in a little bit. I won't be adding more posts about this for another month or so since I'm busy with school. Take care!

    ReplyDelete