13 October 2012

Ghee (057/365)


I decided to try my hand and make a mini batch of ghee today.  I didn't have all of the "proper" tools for it, so I winged it.  :)  I melted a half a stick of butter in my little egg pan.  I then skimmed off all of the foam from the top and put that aside.  I didn't really let it boil, so I'm pretty sure I didn't do it right.  It kind of was simmering and I didn't see the milk solids, exactly, but it did get to the point that it smelled like delicious toffee, however.


I put everything into a mini one ounce (?) glass jar that I salvaged from some old strawberry preserves.  I strained everything via a funnel and coffee filter.


This is the final product.  However, it's not as clear as it "should" have been.  I think I need to re-boil and re-filter, if that's possible.  It did come out to a nice amber color, though.  :)  My kitchen smells like toffee, still.  :D  This little jar is currently cooling off on the counter.  I hope I at least got all of the milk solids out so that I don't have to worry about it going rancid...

If this all works out well, I'll make a larger batch for next summer's camping trip.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment