10 September 2012

New Bike for School (026/365)


I hadn't gotten it yet, but this will be my new bike for school.  (By the way, that is NOT me in the picture!  :P)  It's a cheap little 20" Huffy bike from Wally World ($50.00).  I'm getting it for a few reasons:

  • It's one of the few that's within my budget (<$100.00).
    • I had to choose something cheap/inexpensive because on campus, there are bike thieves.  The rule of thumb is to get a cheap bike with an expensive lock.  :)
  • It doesn't look too dorky.
  • It fits in my trunk (with the seats down, of course).
I've been monitoring the parking on campus for the past few weeks and quite frankly, it's ridiculous.  There are 3 parking structures available for students, each of which has over 1500 parking spots (close to 2000 each).  Even then, it's impossible to find parking.  

From Monday-Thursday, whenever I'm on campus, the sign outside (and via our school's app) tells me that there are parking spots available in the single digits (or if I'm lucky, mid teens).  I quite literally have to drive around for about 2 hours and "stalk" a student to follow them to their parking spot (which I'm too afraid to do).  That's not worth $300.00 per semester for parking.

So instead, a friend of mine is allowing me to park at her place about 3 or so blocks down from school and bike there.  I think it's well worth my time and $50.00 bike investment.  I'd much rather ride my bike for 30 minutes and know I can get to class on time than drive around for 2 hours in hopes of finding a parking spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment