17 September 2012

DIY Bar to Liquid Soap (032/365)


Blurple and I made liquid soap out of this bar of Dove soap today.  The current soap bar in the shower is but a sliver and well... I just got tired of using bar soaps.  I miss liquid soaps and hadn't used them since probably elementary.  But they're pretty pricey, especially the Dove ones.  So our household gave them up.

Anyhow, I figured bar soap is nothing more than concentrated liquid soap.  So by all means, I started searching online and it was simple enough to do.


This was the aftermath of Blurple versus Dove bar soap.  I didn't have a grater, so Blurple did all the work.  :)  Easy as pie!  It looks like white chocolate!  Since I was only doing a tester batch, I used only half bar.  For the Dove recipes that I'd found online, the soap to water ratio was usually 1:2  (for all other soaps, it's 1:10).  Because Dove already contains moisturizer, glycerin was not needed.


Since I didn't want to mess up the good pots in the house, I went ahead and used the little pot from my mess kit.  Using the above ratio, I brought 1 cup of water to boil and added the soap flakes in.  Stir until there are no more lumps, and put it out overnight to cool.  I poured mine into a jar.  After it's cooled, I'll be pouring it into a pump bottle thing for shower use.  :)  Perhaps hand soap too.

2 comments:

  1. How did the soap turn out? Is the consistency that you expected / wanted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came out pretty well! The consistency was just like the liquid body wash. Though compared to the readily made Dove one, it was just a smidge runnier. :)

      Delete