24 January 2013

Bape G-Shock [Replica] (156/365)


I got this in the mail yesterday.  I ordered this off of dx.com (SKU 80390) just after the new year and it took the usual 3 weeks to get here.  It was $9.20 shipped and the reviews were really good.  There were a ton of YouTube videos on this one too.  I believe it comes in 5 colors; white, black, yellow, pink, and red.  I'm not even sure how I found it, but I'm pretty sure it was because of the "Related Videos" on YouTube that popped up when I was looking up G-shock reviews of the ones I wanted.

I got this one in particular for a few reasons...

  1. I wanted to try my hand at dying the resin band.  I had seen a lot of threads on mygshock.com about people customizing their G-shocks and I just wanted to try.  However, I didn't want to do it on a real G-shock for fear of ruining a $100+ watch.  So by all means, this one is my guinea pig. :)
  2. Before I purchase the GWX8900B-7, I wanted to make sure that I would be comfortable with a larger watch.  Prior to this, I've always worn Skagens, which are super thing.  The next largest would be my cheap Casio Illuminator, and then the Timex Classic that Papa T got me for my birthday.  :)  This one will not be one of the future ones I dye.  This one's just the one I really wanted.  :P
  3. To be honest, I just have a fascination with fakes/replicas.  Without going into the economics of things, it's just interesting.  This is one of a very small amount (less than I can count on my one hand that I can recall) of "fake" stuff that I own.  Researching it is another story.  I guess you can say learning about replica items is a bit of a hobby.
From what I learned on myghock.com, these have a different resin composition than that of the real deal.  So the dye will still take, but it'll come up a little lighter.  That's fine by me.  :)  I just wanted to test this out and make sure I have the process down.  This one's pretty cute as is, though.  :3

No comments:

Post a Comment