24 June 2013

Until the Next Time We Meet...

I made it back to CA yesterday morning.  It was one of the hardest things I had to do - to leave my uncle and my family while tests were still inconclusive.

I couldn't stop the tears.  I held them in for the weekend, wanting to be brave for my uncle and family.  But when I had to say goodbye and catch my flight, I completely broke down.

We're waiting on the biopsy report.  It's been an extremely frustrating week, as the nurses and doctors were having a lot of miscommunication - the worst being that they were to allow my uncle to eat until the last 12 hours before his biopsy today (Monday) but the nurse had inputted in the computer that he was to be NPO ("nil per os," latin for "nothing through the mouth") all weekend.  Really?  Then I had nurses tell me, yes, he could eat.  Then a few hours later, a nurse come in and say no, he can't, now the procedure is postponed because he ate.  Really?  It was like that all weekend.

Overall, I hear my uncle's doing better.  Before I came, he was completely bedridden and could not move, let alone speak.  When I came, I helped him to exercise his extremities and he was able to start moving on his own again.  He was getting a little stronger each day.  He also started eating solid foods when I came.  For the past month, he'd been on a feeding tube.  I wonder how he's doing now.

I can only wait now.  Here's to finding something in the biopsy report so that the doctors have something to work off of.  He needs to get better and come back home to his family.  I miss him.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment