27 December 2012

Story of my Sitka (128/365)

I had written this a couple of days ago on EDCF, but I really wanted to re-write it for the blog.  This is the story of my Sitka...

It all started back on December 7, 2012.  Whilst browsing the EDCF BST threads, I had found a Sitka put up for sale by member Mag718.  It was going for $65.00 shipped CONUS and had all the straps intact with very, VERY minor blemishes on the fabric (most of the time they go for $80.00 and usually are missing the Y-compression strap).  I wanted it.  And when I saw it for that price, I had to have it, especially taking into consideration that the only ~1:1 clone I'd ever been able to locate costs $50.00 (Red Rock Outdoor, Model: Rambler, for those interested).  But the problem was that I didn't have any spending money.  By this time, I had been eyeing the Sitka for a few months now.  I started to put up items for sale to get the funds for it, in hopes that I could get enough money for it before it was sold.

A few days later, I find that amazingly, the Sitka was still available.  I ask about it... which bumped the thread up to the top and then somebody else questioned having it shipped to internationally.  I thought it was a goner, but I didn't see that it was sold yet.  Fast forward nearly 2 weeks after the original posting, it's again, STILL AVAILABLE!  And still at the same [relatively] low price of $65.00 shipped CONUS.  By this date, it was my birthday, December 20, 2012.  It had been a rough day for me, getting a ton of not-so-great news and studying for my final exam at school.  During that moment of weakness, I asked my EDCF brethren and sistren whether I should continue funding for it and wait for the next deal to roll around or go ahead and buy it while I still can.  Most told me to be a good girl and wait.  And so I did.

Less than a day later, I started to get offers on the items I had up for sale.  I thought sure sure that that Sitka would be mine.  I happily closed the deals and went on my merry way.  Until I realized that member catfishdan had already bought it shortly after I asked the members to help me make my to buy or not to buy decision.  I was bummed.  So bummed in fact, that I texted my buddy KAMM to tell her what happened.  catfishdan had bought "my" Sitka.  But I figured that just gives me more time to sell stuff and save up for the next deal.  I was still bummed though.

About a day later I got a trade offer on my BST items that involved a Sitka.  It happened to be an S-Type, and so I spent a good 10 - 15 minutes standing in my room, swapping bags from shoulder to shoulder to see if I could make due with wearing a bag over my right shoulder instead of my left.  It also happened to be the Sitka that KAMM used to own.  I texted her to tell her how how ironic it would have been if I ended up with her Sitka, since I had missed out on it on her original thread (and because at the time I wasn't sure if I would spring for ran S-Type).  She tried to talk me out of it but I didn't understand why.  I thought it was weird because I was pretty sure there were no flaws with said item since she takes good care of her stuff.

Fast forward again to December 24, 2012...

This package arrived from catfishdan and Mag718 with a little Happy Birthday message.  :)

My new Sitka in foliage.

Complete with a surprise message, a Sipik Sk-68, and a lanyard from Mag, himself.

What a wonderful holiday season it has been.  It totally took me by surprise.  My sincerest thanks to all those who have made this year wonderful for me.  :D


No comments:

Post a Comment