02 December 2012

Notebooks and Journals (103/365)


I love notebooks.  I've had my share of notebooks over the years - Moleskine, Markings, Picadilly, EcoSystem, Composition, mini Compositions... I've yet to find one that I really, really like though; even the ones that I bind myself!  I think that it's because I have a very specific format that I like to write in.

Lately, I've settled on the mini composition notebooks that I found at Dollar Tree (here); I like these ones because for one, you get 3 of them for $1.00, but more importantly, the paper is good AND it's got sewn binding.  I hope that they never stop carrying these and if they do, I hope I get a heads up somehow so that I can stock up.  They're just about the perfect size for EDC purposes, to always be able to jot down random thoughts and lists at any time.  My current mini composition notebook is set up in such a way that the first half takes care of two months' worth of agenda stuff (with a page for future appointments) and the second half made for notes and lists.  I like this format the best so far for every day notebook use.

For journal use, I've used plenty, as listed above.  At one point I used only fountain pens in the Moleskines and was disappointed at the hit and miss of their paper quality.  But I've since switched to using fountain pens for notetaking in school and a Zebra F-701/F-301 for everything else (I got tired of people borrowing and misusing my FPs).

I'm fairly picky with my stationery and I think that the aesthetics of the Moleskine (and the no name purple one shown above) is what makes me willing to spend the extra bucks on them over that of Markings an Picadilly.  I really like that the pages are flush with the cover.  I've yet to find a Markings or other readily availble brands that is made that way.  I don't know... the cover overhang just bothers me.  I'd really like to EDC a pocket sized Moleskine, but the size is a little too big for that.  That's where Field Notes, the "Fauxlants" that I make, and the mini compositions come in, I guess.  Maybe if I start carrying a purse more often, that would happen.  o_O

I've still got quite a few unused notebooks sitting on my bookshelf.  I'll get around to using them eventually.  I was talking to J the other day and geez, opening up and taking that first step to writing in a brand new notebook is NERVE-WRECKING   Gosh.  (That purple one above is about to be deflowered.  Nerve-wrecking, I say!)

No comments:

Post a Comment