08 August 2012

Sipik SK-68 - Good Example of Value vs Cost

Don't you love the feeling when you find something that's relatively inexpensive, yet performs like a champ?

For me, that's the Sipik SK-68 flashlight.  I'd gotten this months ago (according to my order history, March 2012) from Meritline when they had it featured in their "Daily Deals" tab for $6.99 shipped.  I'd gotten it at the recommendation of the guys over at BLF.

The Sipik SK-68 is one of the most highly recommended lights (for modders and amateurs alike) over there and I can see why.  It's a great light to start out with; small and compact, and definitely bright for what you pay for.

And it can sure as heck take a beating:
This was the result of getting tossed into traffic and fair patrons kicking it about after accidentally dropping it.

Even after that ordeal, the SK-68 still pulls through.  It's just as bright as its ever been and functions well.  I'd used it for over 2 hours straight at work when the lights went out and it didn't get hot or even flicker.  It didn't even go through the batteries as I had expected it to (Energizer NiMH used).

For a small, single AA flashlight, I was expecting no more than 1 hours' straight use, considering that it boasts an enormous lumen output.  The website description claims 260 lumens.  I think it's closer to 180-200 lumens, since it's about as bright as the $7.00 3x AAA Costco ones, and comparable to my $30 Maglite XL200.

Overall, I'm happy and I would definitely recommend this light.  There are also colorful ones (red/blue/green) available, as well as another with 3 modes (low, high, strobe).

Sure, there are others to try out in the same price range and great build quality, like the Romisen, but it's all good!  I still love my little light.

No comments:

Post a Comment