20 February 2013

Vietnam Memorial (182/365)


Today's visit to the Vietnam Memorial...

I've been here a few times in my childhood. But I never really took it all in until today. After work, I had met up with a friend who wanted to take some pictures in and around the area of the memorial. The Vietnamese heritage is important to me; I'm a first generation Vietnamese-American, born of parents who left Vietnam during and after the war, whose father fought for our freedom. I guess I kind of took that for granted. But today was different. In my later years of life, I started to see the world differently and had a completely different understanding and gained much respect for those who have fought for what they believed in, particularly those of military and law enforcement background. I live and grew up in a Vietnamese community, whose residents still remember the pains of their childhood, living as refugees and as children of the war - you see and feel the passion that they have to continue to fight for their freedom at every rally that is held in the city and beyond.

Today, as I approached the steps of the memorial site, I noticed dedications that I've not seen before. It brought tears to my eyes, to see the names of family members who have passed - who gave their lives for the chance at freedom for their country.

[IMG]

The one that I choked up on was this:

[IMG]

I just stood there... tears in my eyes. I knew many of the soldiers must have been younger than I am today. My own father, who I now have a deeper respect for, was a soldier at the tender age of 17. It was mindblowing. And I couldn't stop the tears.

[IMG]

Looking at the memorial as a whole now, I notice the "eternal flame." It's since been shut off and I was a little disappointed to see that. But what it stands for, still lives on in all of our hearts, and seeing it today rekindled mine.

[IMG]

Making my way closer still, I notice that many people, from near and far, travel to this memorial to pay their respects, leaving offerings of flowers and food. Shortly after this photo was taken, I noticed 2 parties come by. One with a man and wife taking photos and leaving offerings. The other, a man touching one of the name plate dedications, silent, and thoughtful. I stood there, not knowing what to do. I did nothing but stand there feeling sadness that I've not experienced before.

[IMG]

Before my friend called me over, taking me out of my trance to help her take pictures, I was left with this reminder at the base of the sculpture. This reminder too, is where I will leave you.

Thank you to all who have served, are serving, and will serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment