19 February 2013

Chewing Sticks/Flavored Toothpicks (181/365)

I love chewing on toothpicks.  :)  For the past few years (I think about 5 years now), I've been buying the Thursday Plantation and Tea Tree Therapy brand chewing sticks from my local market (Whole Foods and Sprouts).  But it gets pretty costly, at $4.00 per pack of 100 toothpicks... and I go through a pack a month or so.

I also got tired of the same Cinnamon and Tea Tree Oil flavored ones.

And while these toothpicks are of great quality, it just didn't have as satisfying a feel as I would have liked.

So then I started making my own.  :)


Yeah, this picture still has only Tea Tree Oil and Cinnamon Oil, but not shown are the peppermint, orange, lemon, clove, and anise oils that reside in my kitchen.  :)  That solves the flavor problem.  But what about the unsatisfying feeling of the original toothpicks?

:D  Cut down bamboo skewers were the solution!  Because the skewers are thicker than the toothpicks, I end up soaking the skewers for longer than I would the toothpicks.

That also solves my spending problem.  Kinda.  hahaha  It's not a huge savings, but I am happy that I get to mix and match my flavors and that the skewers are more satisfying than the skinny toothpicks.  :)

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Ive never heard of chewing sticks until this moment lol. Are they geared toward people trying to quit smoking? What are the legit chewing sticks made out of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're mostly just geared toward just oral hygiene or something.

      The easiest ones you find are by Thursday Plantation and Tea Tree Therapy; those are made of birch, I believe. :)

      Delete