04 November 2012

Cheap Eats: Chili Cheese Noodles (076/365)

[no pictures]

It's November.  Which means that it's time to swap out all of my emergency foods out of the car and into daily rotation in the home.  :)

There were some combinations of foods that I've never thought about trying together.  This time around, it was Chili Cheese Noodles.

Ingredients:
  • ramen noodle pack
  • can of chili
  • a few cheese slices (not that I'd have these in an emergency situation, but if it was just a power outage at home, yeah, I'd have it)
  • sriracha
  • kethup packets
Ditching the flavor packet, I boiled up the noodles and when cooked, drained them.  I used about 1/4 - 1/3 of the can of chili (I got Hormel's no bean one), heated it up, and tossed it in with the noodles.  On top of that went the cheese slices (Kraft melts the best).  Then I squeezed in 2 packets of ketchup (I like my chili like that) and then a good serving of sriracha chili.

Mix it all together... you've got a pretty hearty meal.  If I were stuck out in my car or during a power outage at home, this would be pretty delicious and filling.  There was enough chili for 4 good servings.

The total cost:
  • cheese slices:  $0.10 x 2 = $0.20
  • ramen noodles:  $0.12 x 1 = $0.12
  • chili: $2.00 / 4 servings = $0.50
  • sriracha:  negligible
  • ketchup packets:  free
  • TOTAL:  $0.82 per serving.
Fun stuff.  :)  The noodles are pretty awesome as a base.  I've tossed sardines in there, tuna, vienna sausages... it all works fine.  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment