23 January 2012

Pocket First Aid Kit

I was derpin' around today and I'm not sure why, but the idea of making a minimalist pocket first aid kit came to mind.  Off to Google and YouTube for some research.  YouTube wasn't much help other than looking at people's EDCs.  Google didn't offer much either - mostly just retail stuff.  So I decided to just wing it.

I like having thing around in case of emergencies - I think I could live out of my car for quite some time (dehydrated food, Jetboil stove, gallons of water, towel, toiletries, etc.).  I have a small first aid kit in my backpack for school, car, and home.  But I don't have one that is always on my person at all times.  This is where my new kit comes in.  Best part?  Everything's kept in a slim business card case that I had laying around.

Here I have (top to bottom, left to right):
(1) packet of 2ct Advil
(1) single use "packet" of bacitricin - made by way of Mr. Brian
(2) floss picks & (1) interdental brush inside the small zip bag
(1) moist wipe
(2) alcohol wipes
(1) slim metal business card case
(2) standard size fabric bandages
(2) Loratadine ("Claritin")
(1) G.I. Joe Search and Rescue business card (w/ emergency contacts)

Like I said, this is a completely minimalist kit that is for my personal use.  I often get headaches, which is where the Advil comes along.  The Loratadine is for my allergies.  The floss and brush is there in the case that I get food stuck in my teeth.  The rest are for small cuts that seem to always happen when I'm out with friends.  The bacitricin packet cannot be opened by hand, but I always carry a small knife with me as an EDC item.

I already do keep 1 tab of Loratadine, 1 alcohol pad, and 1 standard sized bandage in my wallet.  But I just thought it'd be nice to have an extra set in the case that those don't suffice.

And this is how it looks like all packed together.  Everything fits perfectly and all items are easy to see and access.  The card case itself does not have any troubles closing since there are not enough items in there for it to bulge.

All in all, I'm quite happy with this little case.  :)  These items are just right for a minor incident while I'm out and is slim enough to slip even into the tightest of girl pockets (you KNOW those things are not very practical!).  And since it's nice and metal, I'm not worried about the container breaking or anything like that.

One of the reasons why I had opted for these contents is that the promotional first aid kits given out have more or less the same basic things.  After doing a quick comparison, I found that on average, those tradeshow giveaways only consist of 4 bandages (usually standard sized), 3 alcohol pads, 1 packet of aspirin (or sometimes non-aspirin aspirin) or ibuprofen, and one packet of antibiotic ointment of some sort.  I figured if those items were good enough for giveaways, then by golly, that would be good enough for my minimalist kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment