09 February 2012

My Current EDC :)

It's been some time since my last post now.  I believe previously I'd written about my mini pocket first aid kit.  :D  Well, I'd always been interested in the idea of "EDC" (Every Day Carry) and making those PFAKs just made me go back and research more into it.

School's started, so my EDC is a bit different, but I think I'd finally narrowed down to a true (albeit, "urban") EDC that works for me.

Housed within an old makeup bag, I have:

Ziplock #1 (3x5"):  OTC Medications

  • Advil - 1 packet (2 ct tablets)
  • Pepto Bismol (chewable) - 4 tabs
  • Benadryl (liquid gels) - 2 tabs
  • Claritin, 10 mg - 2 tabs
  • Zyrtec - 2 tabs
  • Tums - 1 roll (8 ct chewables)
Along with these medications are scans their Drug Facts just in case I forget the dosage.  And why the selection of allergy medications?  Some people, including myself, react to each type differently.  Some don't affect me whatsoever and others are quite effective.  Because Benadryl does make me drowsy, I keep that on hand in the case that I have allergies at night when I'm staying away from home.

Ziplock #2 (3x3"):  Super Glue
  • gel - 1 ct
  • liquid - 1 ct
Why super glue?  It comes in pretty handy!  Just yesterday, my brother showed up during lunch time with a broken flash diffuser on our Nikon D40.  Super glue to the rescue!  It's also great for small cuts where a bandage can't get to (surgeons even use this stuff for sealing minor cuts), though I've never actually done so.  The gel and liquid types are best for different materials, so be sure to check that out.  The packages I get from the Dollar Tree have that information on the back of each baggie.  By the way, they're only $1.00 for a pack of 3 there.  :)  They haven't failed me yet!  They work just as well as others, I've noticed.

Ziplock #3 (3x5"):  PFAK (Pocket First Aid Kit)

  • antibacterial wipe - 1 ct
  • alcohol wipes - 2 ct
  • antibacterial bandage (standard size) - 1 ct
  • fabric bandage (standard size) - 1 ct
  • bacitracin (sealed in straws) - 1 ct (and again, made by way of Brian)
Ziplock #4 (3x3"):  Feminine Products

  • liners - 2 ct
  • tampons - 3 ct (one of each, ladies)
And the final items housed in the makeup bag is a package of pocket tissues and a small case of floss picks and interdental brushes.  :D

I love having everything in separate ziplock baggies since it makes it easier to find items since they're more or less "categorized."  And then all of those items are stored in the larger makeup bag for easy access rather than sprawled in my bag or backpack.  Plus, the modular goodness of it all makes it easier to transfer said items between bags.  :D  Admittedly, there are still some items I can pack in there (so far the whole thing takes up only a space of less than 5x7x1"), but a lot of it would be redundant considering the other things I'd need in a typical day is already carried on my person in one form or another... such as having a small bottle of hand sanitizer clipped to the outside of my bag.  :)

I have no doubt that this setup will change time and time again.  But for now, I think those are my basics and I'm quite happy with what I've got so far.  :)

PICTURES SOON!  :)


UPDATE (17 February 2012):

It's a long weekend and I'm sick in bed.  Gives me all the more time to update, right?  :)  And here is the picture of my current EDC set up, minus the bag that everything is contained in:


I'd also taken the liberty of adding a full 0.5 ounce tube of ointment rather than dealing with the little straw containers.  I figured for this bag, there's no need to minimize it.


No comments:

Post a Comment