19 January 2012

Bic Cristal 1.6mm Review

So I've never been one for ballpoints unless I was using either a Zebra 301 or Pentel R.S.V.P...  I'd always found ballpoints to be too ... "skittish."  They skip, their ink runs dry for no apparent reason, it involves too much pressure, there aren't too many ink color choices, my hand cramps too easily... all of these factors have lead me to use primarily fountain pens and occasionally rollerballs and gels.

However, after one of the members from FPN posted a thread in praises of a $0.10 ballpoint, I was intrigued.  The pen is the Bic Cristal in the 1.6mm thickness.

While at my local Wally World, I happened upon this pack of 10, featuring 8 assorted colors.  Curiously, I decided to pick up a pack considering the price stands at $0.97 per pack of 10, and with all of the colors, I figured somebody I knew would have fun with the assortment if I didn't want them.

When I got home, I immediately opened up the package and drew squiggles.

I.  AM.  AMAZED.

The lines are consistent and quite possibly the smoothest ballpoint I've used to date.  This actually knocks the R.S.V.P. out of the park!  It rivals the smoothness of gels, even.  And of course, the assortment of colors is fun to have on hand and I'm sure to be of great use during the semester.  I'm glad that the fellow FPN member drew my curiosity enough to pull away from my comfort zone and purchase a pack of ballpoints.  Bic company, I now have more respect for your pens.

UPDATE (20 February 2012):
A couple of weeks ago, the Sunday paper had $1.00/1 coupons for any one Bic stationery items.  I stocked up on these and some Wite Out since they're $0.97 and $1.00 each, respectively, making them free after coupon.  :)  I'm quite happy with them.

Like I had mentioned before, I got these pens at my local Wal-Mart.  But they go VERY quickly.  If you want these pens, you really have to keep your eye out on their website and check every few days for their stock status.  I had gotten 20 of these aforementioned coupons, but the first time I went to my store, they only had 10 packages of these pens.  Not wanting to clear the shelves, I took half and left the other half for other customers.  When I got home and checked online, they were out of stock.  15 more coupons to use.

The next day, it was still out of stock.  I got a little "worried" because I didn't want these coupons to go to waste since they were expiring the following week.  The day after, I checked again and they were back in stock.  I grabbed what they had (another 10) and continued to keep my eye out for stock at all of the local Wal-Marts.  These fly really fast.  So if you haven't had luck getting these pens, check the Wal-Mart.com stock thing and head out to grab them as soon as you can.

5 comments:

  1. I love these pens too! So, I was a little sour when I read that there was a $1 coupon in the Sunday paper that I obviously missed. I desperately googled and was unable to find a coupon for myself.

    I ran into my local OfficeMax on Sunday and to my surprise this particular store is closing. Everything is 50% off. I ran over to the pen section and behold...there was a 24 pack of the Bic Cristal Color pens for $4.99. So, 50% would make them $2.50 each. There were 5 on the rack. I grabbed two and contemplated getting the rest. Nah, don't be greedy.

    After calculating the benefit of getting these and the 10 pack from Walmart for $0.97, the 24 pack was a better deal at the $2.50. Therefore, I grabbed all 5 off the rack. That's 120 of these puppies in my stash! :) That doesn't include the 3 packs I already bought from Walmart.

    At the register, the 24 packs rang up $1.49 each. I couldn't believe it. I was so happy...I didn't know what to do. Sorry this was so long. I just had to share! Love, Peace, and Bic Cristal Pens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The $1.00/1 coupon I was referring to was probably back from January or so. Look out for them during August when the back-to-school sales come up! I remember getting Bic coupons a lot back then. Sometimes it was $1.00/1, other times $1.00/2, and now and then will have coupons for more specific Bic items (namely the Mark-Its).

      Great deal! The Office Max around here closed down as well. I'm in no mood to drive the next couple cities over for their Max Perks, so I stick with Staples Rebates and Rewards.

      :D At $1.49 for each 24 pack, I would have stocked up too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for heads up on the back to school coupons. I will definitely look out for a coupon during that time.

    I hear ya on the Staples. I'm actually opposite. :) I prefer the MaxRewards. I qualify for the Teacher MaxRewards since I homeschool my children. I get $10 for every $75 I spend. Now grant it, I don't spend $75 for school stuff. I usually spend this amount and greater for our home business (label printer, printer paper, labels, etc) I usually rack up with the Teacher Reward deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you are still loving these pens but I just discovered them two days ago and they are fantastic!

    I was so surprised at the smoothness.
    The ink practically flies onto the paper by itself and they are so vivid.
    I was amused at how some of the caps (pink & light blue) suggest almost pastel colors, but the ink is so bright.


    Anyway, I just had to run back to Wal-Mart to pick up a couple more packs.

    I hope these guys stay in the market.
    I've not seen them anywhere else and there is almost nothing about them on the internet.
    The searches that turn up are only about the black/blue pens not these colorful ones.

    Thanks Bic for these inexpensive, colorful and smooth pens.
    They were $1.14 here instead of $0.97, but it's the best $1.14 I ever spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still do love these pens! :D I've been recommending them to my friends as well.

      In the original pack I'd opened, though, the pastel colors didn't seem to flow as well as the darker ones. But they're still great! I'm hoping it was just that one pack and not the case for the rest of those lighter colors.

      I wrote to Bic in regards to these pens, but I got a generic response just telling me that they appreciate that I like the pens. :( I was hoping or more information.

      I wish so much that they would put these into the 4-color clicky pens though!

      Indeed, even at the price of $1.14, it's definitely worth it! :D

      Delete