30 October 2013

Palomino Blackwings, Freshly Sharpened.


Picked up a couple of new Blackwings at the local art store today.  :)  I love going down the aisles of the art store to kill time.

I've never stopped to think about what lead hardness these are, but I've always loved the way they wrote.  They're so much smoother than the typical pencils you buy at the stores (Ticonderoga and such).  Of course, you're also paying a premium for them as well ($1.50+ for Blackwings versus like $0.05 for Ticonderogas).

I don't go through pencils too often other than for the occasional sketching, so it's worth it for me.  I like that the erasers are replaceable and that you can pull them out to your desired length.  :)

I'd misplaced my Kum pencil sharpener somewhere, but I think I've gotten pretty good at sharpening my pencils with a knife (something I have to do at work anyway, since pencils are few and far inbetween, let alone sharpeners).  I follow the 2-stage "method" of sharpening like that old Kum, where you first get just the wood off of the graphite, and then sharpen the graphite itself.

Maybe if I find a nice pencil clip and tip cover I'll start carrying to EDC these.  For now, I'll stick to the bullet pencils for that job.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment