15 May 2012

Daiso Mini Haul! :) EDC Edition

Today, I'd gone to the new Daiso that had opened up somewhat nearby.  I wanted to check it out since I've always been curious about Japanese "100 Yen" stores.  Ever since Marukai 98 closed a few years back, I hadn't been able to purchase any of these items in quite some time.  Everything at Daiso is $1.50, unless otherwise marked.  There were only a handful of items that were NOT $1.50, and nothing I saw was more than $5.00.

The Japanese have thought of pretty much everything.  :P  Plenty of their items can easily be transformed into "EDC" appropriate accessories.

First, some store shots:
Upon entering, I'm welcomed by a plethora of keychain accessories.  I really like the belt leash ones (or whatever they're called).

Various types of lanyards to choose from.  :)

Teeny tiny tools.

I found some waterproof cases in the sports section, similar to the Witz cases.

Lots and LOTS of various sized and compartmentalized containers.  I love the pill boxes.  :)  There were too many to choose from!

Bento goods can easily be repurposed for EDC carry.  These are various sized sauce bottles.  :)

I thought that these tiny toothpaste things were really neat!

And now, for shots of items that I'd bought:  I let myself get 10 items today.  :)

From left to right...
  • Two stainless steel food containers.  I plan on using these to replace my Altoids kit and to make a fire starting kit.  I absolutely LOVE my "Altoids" kit (it's actually Newman's Own) since it's got that neat dragon on it (like this), but I want to make another that's more water resistant, if not water proof.  I know others have "waterproofed" their Altoids tins with various methods (ranger bands, electrical tape, etc.), but I didn't want to go through the hassle of putting on/taking off tape.  These are great.  :)
  • Mini sewing kit.  There were many different kits there, but I went with this one 'cause it had a little case plus it came with a tiny tube that held the needles.
  • 10-pack of pencils with clips.  These are plastic barreled with pencil tips at the end.  I had originally meant to grab the pen version of these but got these by accident.  Now I'm kind of stuck with them since there's no refunds or exchanges at this store.  They're pretty neat though.  They're very thin.
  • 20mL syringe.  These come in handy for filling up small bottles with stuff.
From left to right...
  • 12-pack of sauce bottles.  I use these for my lunches and also to fill up with hand sanitizer.  These each hold 6mL and I think are a great size for triple antibiotic cream and sanitizer.  I find that using these small bottles is much more convenient than the straw containers.  Straw containers have their place in my EDC, but for things that I'm constantly using, I'd rather use small bottles.  These hold more than the breath mint drops that I had been using (those were only 3.2mL), but are roughly the same size in height and width.  The only reason they hold more is because they're square whereas the mint bottles are round.
  • Mini tripod.  I had lost my Targus one (that cost like $10.00!) during a hike.  This one's great 'cause it's got bendy legs!  :D  I'm a happy child.
  • Fabric chalk.  These are going to be used for my screen prints.  Not EDC related, but I needed it. :P
And I'd saved the best item for last!  These are folding combs.  I HAD to get them because they resembled folding knives so well.  These will be going into future undisclosed surprise giveaways for EDCF members.  :)

And that concludes today's haul.  :)  Cheers!








1 comment:

  1. I wish there was a Daiso here! That looks like really neat and compact stuff.

    ReplyDelete