02 March 2012

In Praises of Otterbox Company

Customer service doesn't get much better than this.  Last July or so, I'd bought an Otterbox case via Amazon.  To be more specific, the Commuter series for the Motorola Atrix (first generation).  It was great - the silicon protects against shock and the outer case makes it easy to slide and and out of the pocket.

However, after about 4 or so months of daily use, it developed a crack on the outer shell straight down where the HDMI input is.  I super glued it and it was fine.  About a month later, another crack appeared, right below the super glued one.  NO BUENO!  :(  But it was super glued and all was fine.  A little while after that, the thinner bridge portion by the camera chipped.  I was sad, but it was okay.  I figured at the price of $25.00 (including shipping) and the 6 months or so I had it, it was well worth my money.

The two cracks.  :)  Good thing I super glued them when I did, otherwise I'd be missing a piece of case.

The crack by the camera lens.  I'm not even sure how that happened.

It stayed that way until today.  It never occurred to me to check if there was a warranty on this thing.    Sure enough, there's a 1 year warranty on these babies.  I'd never dropped my phone or anything during the 8 or so months that I've owned this phone, which was I was surprised that the case even developed any cracks or chips.  Though looking at the locations of damage and the design of the case, I wouldn't be surprised if they were just weak spots.  A quick e-mail to the company explaining the damage and 4 hours later, I've got a replacement coming my way (1 - 2 week wait, they said).

All they had asked for was my mailing address, phone model, case model, and some photos to show where the damage was and to ensure that it was indeed a legitimate Otterbox product.  Great, no hassle customer service.  :)  I'm a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment